changed the way the VM is kept up to date (PR #324)

instruct developers to update dependencies to their latest versions

GitHub

You’ve signed the CLA, ZogStriP. Thank you! This pull request is ready for review.

Closing this because it was the wrong diagnostic about why I was having trouble with JsHint.

I thought it was because my gems weren’t up to date but it actually was because the JRE wasn’t installed (I’m using the vagrant box).

Here is the error I found in the logs: /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p374/bin/guard: No such file or directory - java -cp /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p374/gems/jshint_on_rails-1.0.2/lib/jshint/vendor/test.jar Test

I added a chef recipe to install it.

Anyhow, regarding the bundle update command: wouldn’t it be safer to specify gem versions in order to prevent developpers from updating all their gems to the latest-but-untested versions?

@ZogStriP the Gemfile.lock actually specifies all the versions. Developers should be running bundle install, not bundle update unless they want to update all versions as you said. I believe this is the commonly done way of using bundler: http://yehudakatz.com/2011/05/30/gem-versioning-and-bundler-doing-it-right/