FEATURE: stop using email as source for username and name suggestions for Single Sign On (PR #14541)

We don’t want to be using emails as source for username and name suggestions in cases when it’s possible that a user have no chance to intervene and correct a suggested username. It risks exposing email addresses.

GitHub

It looks good to me but I am not as familiar with this code as @davidtaylorhq - I’d like him to review.

Change looks good to me :+1:. Just one more place where I think we need to change this:

(Auth::Result is used for all external login methods except DiscourseConnect)

(Auth::Result is used for all external login methods except DiscourseConnect)

Yes, thank you! That’s the second most important place that we should change. But I want to change it in a separate PR, mostly because I don’t want to merge these changes together. I want to wait for some time after merging this PR.

It would have been nice if you’d make it configurable, and it’d have been nice if you’d have announced it. Took us a while to figure out what happened.

Paying customer here

@ppwfx can you send an email to team@discourse.org explaining the issue you encountered? I’d like to understand what happened here as this wasn’t supposed to break anything.

Sent you a mail. Thanks for your quick reply